3/19/2010

Documentary Proposals


We have all written a proposal at some point in our lives, weather it was for school or a class it often seems like a tedious experience. However, it is also quite necessary. For instance, every time before I write a paper I have to come up with a proposal of what I'm going to do. Without a proposal a person could not promote or organize there own ideas. When pitching my documentary topic I would have been much better off if I had written up just a short proposal about what I was going to cover in my project. Now that I actually know what I will be doing for my documentary project, it is even more important to create a project proposal. A proposal is defined in the dictionary as, a suggestion for a course of action. Therefore a quality proposal can and will be very helpful to insure a quality documentary.


The video above is a good example of a video proposal. Although the two gentlemen are not proposing to create a documentary there proposal still follows many of the guidelines of a documentary proposal. For instance, they give a thesis of what they plan to do. They give a detailed project description. They explain the goals of their intended project.  They list the tools they plan on using to create their intended project. They show that they have well researched similar work. Also they explain who there audience would be. The only thing missing from their proposal is a definitive execution schedule. However, all in all I believe this video is a good example of what to do when creating a proposal for a film or documentary. 

No comments: